I shall try to write down recipes that I know, concocted from my own hands. Tried and tasted and confirmed delicious. I have never written down a recipe before. But I'll try. Chinese dishes.
My very first attempt shall be Black Pepper Beef with Ginger and Spring Onion. The name of the dish basically tells ALL the main ingredients you need. That's the good thing about chinese dishes. They are named after what they are made of. Well, some of them. If you go to a fancy restaurant, they'll call there food some exotic name, such as Buddha Jump Over the Wall, or Eight Deities Crossing the Sea. And if you have no idea what they are, the first is basically a seafood soup and the other is a cold dish that has 8 varieties.
Ok. I forgot, I'm supposed to tell you how to cook Black Pepper Beef with Ginger and Spring Onions.
Black Pepper Beef with Ginger and Spring Onions
Beef:
I usually buy the strip of meat and cut it myself. Those ready cut are usually cut in the wrong 'direction'. They're supposed to be cut against the grain. If you cut is otherwise, you'll have very tough meat to chew. So you find a cut of meat that has the grain in one direction and minimal tendons.
Slice the beef (about 500g) into thin slices (as thin as possible, you can do this by freezing the beef for about 3 -5 hours before slicing it.)
Marinade:
Marinate the sliced beef (for about half an hour) with:
1. a few dashes of white pepper,
2. 2 tablespoon of coarsely ground black pepper,
3. one teaspoon of light soya sauce,
4. one tablespoon of chinese cooking wine, or alternatively, I like to use leftover red/white wine. Any form of alcohol is welcomed!
5. a little salt
6. MOST IMPORTANT --> Cornflour, one tablespoon. This will give the beef a tender texture!
7. sesame seed oil (if you have any)
Other stuff you need:
Sliced ginger - about as big a lump as half your palm
Spring onions - chopped at one inch sections (I used to plant my old rotting onions in a little patch of soil behind my kitchen. Gave me good fresh spring onions! good way of getting rid of my onions too!)
Chopped garlic - Don't need too much, about 3 cloves will do.
Large Onions - this is an addition. Once large onions, sliced coarsely, don't need to be too thin
NOW WE'RE READY TO COOK!
1. Heat up your wok.
2. Pour in 2 tablespoon of oil.
3. Fry ginger till fragrant, add in garlic.
4. Add in marinated beef. Stir well.
5. Add a dash of soya sauce, and about 2 tablespoon of water.
6. Stir in the spring onions and sliced onions. Stir well till all the spring onions is coated with the gravy.
7. SERVE!
NOTE: the whole process from 1 - 7, does not take long. It should take only 5 minutes. The whole frying experience will be on med-high flame.
This is one of my favourite dishes! If you don't take beef, then substitute with chicken or lamb or fish slices. But the marinate will be slightly different for each.
OKIES! Enjoy your beef!
1 comment:
brilliant idea. Orh. you got the chops, mate! I'm going to pass this on to my friends in the self- catered wing. *drums fingers together*
this is going to be sweet. :)
Post a Comment