09 May 2008

Scams, scams, scams

It is always disturbing how people will do all things just to cheat money from people who are easily influenced enough to fall for it.

There are those time share companies who do a survey with you, let you pick a card, and let you know that you've won a gift and to collect the gift from their office within one week. when you go to their office, they make you sit down with one of their salespeople and you get stuck with them for the next two hours, trying to get out of it, but they have such excellent objection skills that it is impossible to get out until you lose your temper.

Then there are those telemarketeers, recently a spat of china chinese-speaking women who talk their mouths dry to tell you taht you've won yourself a lottery and it's a huge sum. They tell you to go to their office to collect the winnings or they ask for your account number so they can bank it in.

It all sounds good. Humans are greedy. Humans want money. Humans love to win.

But it's admirable how they spend the time and effort to make the calls, follow up and convince you that it is supposed to be a good deal.

It's amazing how they are systematic enough to follow up and to obtain one detail at a time whenever they call. They even dare to threaten legal action if you refuse the winning money. Together with that, they tell you that you have to bear the legal fees if they ever send you a legal notice.

For goodness sake, I can also type out one legal letter and send it to anybody, demanding payment of RM124,502.43, principal sum including 9% interest accrued for the past 7 years.

However, in order to find your targetted victim, you will need to look at the person's age and I think females get it more.

The perfect telemarketing company, who filters their 'prospects' (aka victims) and harrasses them with all forms of administrative and legal actions once they FEEL that you're interested.

Even legitimate telemarketeers get a lot of questions from me.

"Which company are you from?"

"Who is your employer?"

"Why such a good deal?"

"What other charges am I supposed to pay?"

"How did you get my contact number?"

"Don't call me anymore because I'm not in the least interested!!!"

-----------------------

I had one lady call me for some insurance, and having some insurance interest, I asked and listened for more information. I asked her if she was from citibank or ING (the insurance company). She mentioned she's from ING, but all purchases/premiums will go through Citibank credit cards.

Fine. At least I know it 'could' be true.

The last round when I did the balance transfer for citibank, I was more than careful in trying to give them my information. But they proved it well enough and a few weeks later, I had a lump sum in my bank account, which I thought at that time, fell from heaven! But, it turns out, it's like a loan and I had to withdraw it to pay my credit cards. I could choose not to. But I'll be whacked with TWO interest rates if i didn't. One on the 'loan' i got and the other is my credit card interest that would run on and on and on and on if I didn't pay.

Therefore, beware, all of you who get calls from china chinese speaking people who sounds extremely excited.

Don't fall for the scams...

For online transactions, I will only need your card details:

Name
Card number AND
CVV number at the back of your card

That's all. Three miserable information to allow me to buy stuff online!

Some websites don't even ask for the CVV number!

---------------------

Well, just a post to keep you aware of the stupid things people do nowadays to get money.

If I have only 10 persons bank in RM1000 each, It'll be more than enough.

Read for more at : SCAMWATCH

No comments: