The response to this decision was overwhelming.
I read The Star online - and I was one of those who thought to themselves:
"Why would they want a heritage centre where it will just become another white elephant?"
Although the Coliseum is used for two main purposes - the cinema showing Tamil/Hindi flicks and a Cafe, it holds a higher level of culture and heritage than any other place that has been 'converted'.
I love that place because I have been there - twice.
Once to eat at the Cafe (it's owned by Hainanese, serving old fashioned western chicken chops, fish and chips and other Chinese-tainted western yummy food). The waiter there - an indian feller who speaks better Hainanese than I do!!! I was shocked and pleased to hear him speak. The tables and chairs and light and even plates bring you back 30 years. No kidding.
The second time was to watch a tamil show starring not sure whom but premiering, hence the lines were full. Unforgettable 3 hours in an old cinema with loads of people staring at me with my two indian friends. Don't forget the drunk guy, two seats away, smelling of alcohol and snoring while the movie danced and sang for 3 hours.
The government should renovate the place on behalf of Dr Chua! If culture and heritage is of such importance - and the government was ready to pump in money to revamp the place, why don't they use part of that budget and give the historical place a new coat of paint and plaster the cracks?

---------------------------------
~ music touches a part of you, that words will never reach ~ cg
No comments:
Post a Comment