Pak Lah gave a speech during the plenary commision on faith and order of the world council of churches in Malaysia on the topic "DIALOGUE THE KEY TO UNITY OF MULTIRELIGIOUS, MULTIETHNIC AND MULTICULTURAL SOCIETIES".
He talked about tolerance for other religions. It was about a Muslim leader, at a Christian gathering.
Contraversy?
That's at a global macro level. He talks about terrorism and how it affects relationships between countries.
But we can shrink the thought a little more and see it on a country-level.
I can make it more personal and tell it to you from my own perspective. (I'm always a very personal being - my greatest strength as well as my greatest flaw)
I'm very proud to announce that I am a 'muhibbah' person. (Translation - multiracial)
I am able to converse in 3 languages (English, Malay, Chinese. not that much, but enough) and I know at least 3 chinese dialects (Hainanese, Cantonese, Hokkien). I also know enough Tamil to make the person understand and smile at my efforts.
We have, along the way, created generalisations that have moulded our minds to discriminate.
For example, they say Hakka people are very kiam siap. Then they also say that Indians always cheat and the men always hit their wives. It is known that Malays are lazy. The Chinese are very cunning.
Not everyone fits those molds given to them. It might be true. But don't you think there are Chinese people who are lazy too? There are Malays who are just as cunning?
If you noted, all the generalisations are negative in nature. What happened to all the praise and positive observations? Have you ever thought that such generalisations actually made them into what they are now?
Some use a spiritual explanation - it's the forefathers' fault. To a certain extent, yes.
But I believe that each person holds their own fate in their hands. That's the freedom of choice that God gave us. (it's both a good and bad thing - depends on how to view it)
I have good friends who are Malays, Indians, Chinese, and Caucasians. They each have their special traits that I admire very much. Actually I like the food they cook. All different people have their own special way of cooking things.
When you pause for a while... it's all the same characteristics that we look for in other people, despite their skin colour.
Honesty. Loyalty. Sincerity.
Why would people mistrust another? Why are we not convinced that the other is sincere about selling us the insurance? Why are we not convinced that the food he sells is made of quality ingredients? Why do we treat the caucasian with more respect and the local person with disdain?
Food brings the people together.
Music brings people together.
A universal language that is unique but yet uses the same ingredients. It's actually similar to us. We're all made of flesh and blood, just different languages spoken.
Tolerance is not the word. It's empathy.
No comments:
Post a Comment